Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thoughts on Harry Potter.


I started reading early, for the reason that I would have an informed opinion in the increasingly heated debate of the time. Was Harry Potter from the pits of hell or just a simple children story that could help them grow morals and a distinction between right and wrong? Was it something that corrupted ones mind or sharpened and guided it like the much loved Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Here is my confession. I took the books out of our school library and read them without my parents knowledge in my room. And I read them all night long. I might have been a bit obsessed and I admitted that they were very compelling. Stilling reading them with an air of detachment, I soon found myself lost in adventures in castles and wondering what was next for these intriguing people. I found that it was excellently written with an intriguing, entertaining and enthralling story. Needless to say, I have been following the story since and have enjoyed the movies and movie scores, but I really don't like the consuming nature and effect that it has on individuals and groups even.

I enjoy it for the story. I enjoy it for the lessons of good and love over coming darkness and evil, but a lot of people take it too far. But then again, there are lots of things that people take too far. We are a passionate people created to praise something fully. Often it is misplaced and that part breaks my heart a bit. We are meant to praise God with every breath and act, not the wonderful world of Harry Potter and friends, no matter how saviour-like he be. If anything it just gives one a distorted sense of what our praise should be. With all our heart, mind, and strength.

All that said, I do not feel convicted about my time with Harry. It is not the same detest I feel towards the Twilight infection that is sweeping the nation. I will watch my movies and praise the Lord that it is not feelings of a twelve year old girl welling up inside me, but rather moral and mature concerns over intelligent well thought out things. Harry Potter when not taken to the fanatical state is nothing compared to some of the twilight followings of today. Not that I am saying that Harry is wholesome, but if I had to pick one, it would be Harry and not Edward.

My real question is, should we really have to try and pick the best mud to play in or should we be looking to the Lord and his invitation to the vacation by the sea?

No comments:

Post a Comment